|Object Name||Certificate, Stock|
|Scope & Content||
Verso of Stock certificate No. 2, worth $1.00, made out to William C. Schumm, for 1 share in the Caspar [sic.] Schumm Electric Light and Power Company, August 17, 1912. The certificate is signed by William C. Schumm and Casper Schumm.
The Casper Schumm Electric Light and Power Company provided Gypsum with electric power, the first town in Eagle County to have electric lights. Schumm built two hydroelectric power plans. "What became known as the 'Upper Power Plant' was located about five miles up Gypsum Creek from town. Schumm built a dam on the creek that was intended to hold water to allow the generaion of electricity. The 'Lower Power Plant' was located just west of the town's business district, near the point where Gypsum Creek joins the Eagle River." -- Kathy Heicher
While electric power was erratic (the dam didn't hold enough water to generate electricity 24 hrs. a day), the company provided power for several decades. William Schumm took over from his father. By the late 1920s, the Eagle River Power Company had taken over the Schumm company, with Joe and Dorothy Rule maintaining the plants on Gypsum Creek.
|Dates of Creation||Aug. 17, 1912|
|Dates of Accumulation|
|Title||Stock Certificate for the Caspar [sic.] Schumm Electric Light and Power Company, Verso|
|Collection||Eagle County Historical Society, Eagle Public Library|
Casper Schumm Electric Light and Power Company
Gypsum Creek, Colorado
|Lexicon category||8: Communication Artifact|
|Lexicon sub-category||Documentary Artifact|